Where To Find Us‎ > ‎

Humboldt Christian Church

     Agua Fria Christian Church is located in the historic mining town of Humboldt, AZ


Here is a little information about our town taken from Wikipedia.

     Dewey-Humboldt was incorporated on December 20, 2004 from the existing unincorporated towns of Dewey and Humboldt, located adjacent to one another in the Agua Fria River Valley, 15 miles east of Prescott.

The Dewey area was settled around 1863 by pioneer prospector, rancher and Indian-fighter King Woolsey (1832–1879), who founded the Agua Fria Ranch, then better known as "Woolsey Valley". Apache raids made life difficult for the early American settlers. The stage station and post office nearby was also named Agua Fria. By the early 1870s water diversions were being used to irrigate an extensive area of corn and other crops. The ruins of Woolsey's ranch house can still be seen between the old Black Canyon Highway and the Agua Fria River about one mile north of Humboldt.

The Agua Fria post office closed in 1895. When a new post office opened in 1898, the community was renamed Dewey, probably to honor Admiral Dewey's great victory that year at the Battle of Manila, but perhaps after a pioneer settler. Farming continued in a small portion of the area until 2006 when the last working farm was sold to developers. Today Dewey is a low-density residential area.

Humboldt was also settled in the early 1860s. The town was originally named Val Verde after the company that owned the local smelting operation. The town was renamed Humboldt in 1905 to honor Baron Alexander von Humboldt, who had predicted more than a century earlier that the Bradshaw Mountains would become a rich mining area By 1907 the population had reached 1,000. With two daily trains, business in the town boomed and the city decided to showcase their development by hosting a Labor Day celebration that year. The celebration featuring a parade on Main Street became an annual tradition, now organized by the Agua Fria Chamber of Commerce and held on the last Saturday in September.

The panic of 1907 caused the nearby Iron King Mine to close temporarily. After World War I, the smelter and mine closed again, and by 1930 the population of Humboldt had dwindled to 300. Humboldt had a second but smaller boom in 1934 when the mine reopened and produced $100 million in lead and zinc before its closure in 1968. 

The railroad track which served the mine was removed in 1971. Today in Humboldt, a lone smelter smokestack remains overlooking the historic buildings on Main Street.


Comments